Prog. Theor. Phys. Vol. 72 No. 5 (1984) pp. 940-955
Pair Correlation Functions in Liquid Metallic Hydrogen
Department of Physics, Japan Atomic Energy Research Institute, Tokai-mura, Ibaraki 319-11
(Received March 27, 1984)
The quantal hypernetted chain (QHNC) equation, derived from the Kohn-Sham-Mermin theory, is solved for the pair correlation functions in a liquid metallic hydrogen (LMH) modelled as a proton-electron mixture in the range where protons constitute a classical liquid and electrons are in a degenerate state. In the sufficiently high temperature and high density region, hydrogen atoms are found to form a metallic liquid where electrons have no bound state around a proton, and with decreasing temperature or density (for example, near rs=0.72 with the plasma parameter Γ=100), an iterative process to solve the QHNC equation becomes unstable and diverges owing to the rapid growth in an attractive part of the effective electron-electorn interaction. In addition, it is shown that in the LMH there exists a first-order phase transition which is considered to cause a significant change in the electronic structure : At rs=0.3 and Γ=20, for example, the QHNC equation has two sets of solutions belonging to two branches; the high temperature phase and the low temperature phase in which the distribution of electrons reflects more strongly the local order of protons.
DOI : 10.1143/PTP.72.940
- J. Chihara, Prog. Theor. Phys. 60 (1978), 1640[PTP].
W. Kohn and L. J. Sham, Phys. Rev. 140 (1965), A1133[APS].
N. D. Mermin, Phys. Rev. 137 (1965), A1441[APS].
- J. Chihara, Prog. Theor. Phys. 59 (1978), 76[PTP].
M. W. C. Dharma-wardana and F. Perrot, Phys. Rev. A26 (1982), 2096[APS].
- J. Chihara, J. of Phys. C17 (1984), 1633.
- J. Chihara, Prog. Theor. Phys. 59 (1978), 1085[PTP].
- J. Chihara, Prog. Theor. Phys. 50 (1973), 1156[PTP].
- J. Chihara, Prog. Theor. Phys. 70 (1983), 331[PTP].
- J. Chihara and K. Sasaki, Prog. Theor. Phys. 62 (1979), 1533[PTP].
M. W. C. Dharma-wardana, F. Perrot and G. C. Aers, Phys. Rev. A28 (1983), 344[APS].
- W. B. Hubbard and W. L. Slattery, Astro. J. 168 (1971), 131.
S. Galam and J.-P. Hansen, Phys. Rev. A14 (1976), 816[APS].
H. Iyetomi, K. Utsumi and S. Ichimaru, J. Phys. Soc. Jpn. 50 (1981), 3769[JPSJ].
- J. Chihara, Prog. Theor. Phys. 55 (1976), 340[PTP].
P. Eisenberger, W. Marra and G. S. Brown, Phys. Rev. Lett. 45 (1980), 1439[APS].
- D. K. Chaturuvadi, M. Rovere, G. Senatore and M. P. Tosi, Physica 111B (1981), 11.
R. Evans and T. J. Sluckin, J. of Phys. C14 (1981), 3137.
J.-P. Hansen, Phys. Rev. A8 (1973), 3096[APS].
- For example, R. Kubo, Rep. Prog. Phys. XIX part 1 (1966), 255.
Citing Article(s) :
Journal of the Physical Society of Japan 64 (1995) pp. 4708-4725
One-Component Plasmas with Self-Consistently Determined Core Electrons