Prog. Theor. Phys. Vol. 13 No. 2 (1955) pp. 205-216
The Energy Balance of Cosmic Rays
Institute for Theoretical Physics, Nagoya University, Nagoya
(Received January 5, 1955)
The energy dissipated by the vertical flux of cosmic rays at three geomagnetic latitudes (λ=56°, 28° and 3°) are studied. Comparing this result with the incident energy obtained from the intensity measurements at the free atmosphere, we find the difference of about thirty percent which is nearly independent of the latitude. It is shown that this difference may be attributed to the low energy particles which cause the albedo effect near the top of the atmosphere. On the other hand, an alternative interpretation that the difference could be imputed to heavy unstable particles, especially K particles, may arise. We also examine this possibility and find out that all of the difference can not be ascribed to K particles. Taking account of the low energy particles, we can conclude that the energy balance is consistent with our present knowledge.
Moreover we find the energy ratios of neutral to charged π mesons to be 0.57 ±0.07, 0.44 ±0.07 and 0.36 ±0.08 at λ=56°, 28° and 3° respectively.
DOI : 10.1143/PTP.13.205
B. Rossi, Rev. Mod. Phys. 20 (1948), 537[APS].
- G. Puppi, Nuovo Cim. Suppl. 10 (1953), 115.
- J. D. Pullar and E. G. Dymond, Progress in Cosmic Ray Physics Vol. II (Amsterdam 1954).
- M. L. Vidale and M. Schein, Nuovo Cim. 8 (1952), 774.
M. A. Pomerantz, Phys. Rev. 95 (1954), 531[APS].
- G. Puppi and N. Dallaporta, Prog. Cosm. Ray Phys. Vol. I (Amsterdam 1952).
McMahon, Rossi and Burditt, Phys. Rev. 80 (1950), 157[APS].
J. A. Simpson, Phys. Rev. 83 (1951), 1175[APS].
Miller, Henderson, Potter and Todd, Phys. Rev. 84 (1951), 981[APS].
M. Conversi, Phys. Rev. 79 (1950), 749[APS].
B. Rossi and S. J. Klapman, Phys. Rev. 61 (1942), 121[APS].
- Baroni, Cortini, Milone, Scarsi and Vanderhaeghe, Nuovo Cim. 9 (1952), 867.
C. N. Chou, Phys. Rev. 90 (1953), 473[APS].
- B. Rossi, High-Energy Particles (New York, 1952).
- Camerini, Lock and Perkins, Prog. Cosm. Ray Phys. Vol. I (Amsterdam, 1952).
Winckler, Stix, Dwight and Sabin, Phys. Rev. 79 (1950), 656[APS].
J. A. Van Allen and S. F. Singer, Phys. Rev. 78 (1950), 819[APS].
M. A. Pomerantz, Phys. Rev. 75 (1949), 1721[APS];
ibid. 77 (1950), 830[APS].
- B. Peters, Prog. Cosm. Ray Phys. Vol. I (Amsterdam, 1952).
Perlow, Davis, Kissinger and Shipman, Phys. Rev. 88 (1952), 321[APS].
J. R. Winckler and K. Anderson, Phys. Rev. 93 (1954), 596[APS].
H. V. Neher, Phys. Rev. 83 (1951), 650[APS].
- Fourth Rochester Conference on High Energy Nuclear Physics, 25-27th. Jan., 1954.
- S. Hayakawa and J. Nishimura, Prog. Theor. Phys. 4 (1949), 577[PTP].
S. Ogawa and Y. Nagahara, Prog. Theor. Phys. 5 (1950), 428[PTP].