Prog. Theor. Phys. Vol. 20 No. 6 (1958) pp. 844-856
An Analysis of Experimental Data on Extensive Air Showers
Institute of Polytechnics, Osaka City University, Osaka
(Received August 4, 1958)
The main interest of the present paper is in analysing the fluctuations in the starting points of extensive air showers in the atmosphere. A method of obtaining the shower curve without taking into account the effect of the fluctuations is presented. The latte effect results in that small energy showers which thrust themselves into the lower atmosphere are observed as if they were large energy showers, and the effect is not insignificant especially in the case of observing showers of large sizes at low altitudes. This may also modify the primary energy spectrum in such a way that the intensity at very high energies is significantly smaller than the one currently adopted. Qualitative interpretations of some unusal events and some speculations on high energy nuclear interactions are also given.
DOI : 10.1143/PTP.20.844
- K. Greisen “Progress in Cosmic Ray Physics” III (1955), edited by J. G. Wilson, North-Holland Publishing Co. Amsterdam; reports before 1955 are summerized.
- Oxford Conference on the Extensive Air Shower (1956).
- A. Ueda and N. Ogita, Prog. Theor. Phys. 18 (1957), 269[PTP].
H. Messel, “Progress in Cosmic Ray Physics” II (1954), edited by J. G. Wilson.
M. Oda, Nuovo Cim. 5 (1957), 615.
- W. L. Kraushaar, presented in Varenna Conference (1957).
- A: see the reference (1).
estimated from the data by R. W. Williams, Phys. Rev. 74 (1948), 1689[APS].
G. Clark, Phys. Rev. 108 (1957), 450[APS].
D: F. Scherb, Private Communication, March 4 (1958).
E and F:
G. Clark, J. Earl, W. Kraushaar, H. Linsley, B. Rossi and F. Scherb, Nature 180 (1957), 353[CrossRef];
ibid. 180 (1957), 406[CrossRef].
- N. A. Dobrotin, G. T. Zacepin, S. I. Nikolskij and G. B. Hristiansen, Suppl. Nuovo Cim. 3 (1956), 635.
S. Miyake, K. Hinotani, I. Katsumata and T. Kaneko, J. Phys. Soc. Jpn. 13 (1958), 782[JPSJ].
- S. Higashi, T. Oshio, K. Shibata, K. Watanabe and Y. Watase, Nuovo Cim. 5 (1957), 597.
- Y. Sekido, presented at Symposium of Phys. Soc. Jpn. (1956).
Citing Article(s) :
Progress of Theoretical Physics Vol. 21 No. 1 (1959) pp. 29-73
A Nucleonic Cascade Theory and an Analysis of Extensive Air Showers
Hiroshi Fukuda, Naofumi Ogita and Akira Ueda
Progress of Theoretical Physics Vol. 24 No. 6 (1960) pp. 1231-1261
On the Structure of Extensive Air Showers. II
Progress of Theoretical Physics Vol. 27 No. 1 (1962) pp. 105-126
A Study on the Extensive Air Showers
Progress of Theoretical Physics Vol. 77 No. 6 (1987) pp. 1411-1433
Behaviour of Cosmic Rays in the Atmosphere at Super High Energy Region
Akinori Ohsawa and Seibun Yamashita
Progress of Theoretical Physics Supplement No.54 (1973) pp. 31-39
Lorentz-Factors and Masses of Fireballs