Prog. Theor. Phys. Vol. 22 No. 1 (1959) pp. 15-24
Nucleon-Antinucleon Annhilation Products
Research Institute for Fundamental Physics, Kyoto University, Kyoto, Japan
(Received February 28, 1959)
Three models for nucleon-antinucleon annihilation are considered: the Fermi statistical model, the modification by Pomeranchuk which includes strong π-π interactions, and the Koba-Takeda model of fast “core” annihilation followed by slow emission of “cloud” pions. The parameters of the models are chosen to fit the experimental pion multiplicity <nπ> = 5.36. Then it is shown that the Koba-Takeda model with a small core predicts quite different values then the other models for the average K meson energy and pion multiplicity associated with KK events. Data on these quantities would distinguish between models and provide indirect information on the π-π interaction.
DOI : 10.1143/PTP.22.15
- Chamberlain, Goldhaber, Janeau, Kalogeropoulos, Segrè, and Silberberg, UCRL-8424, August 1958. (221 events, including the events in ref. (2)).
Barkas, Berge, Chupp, Ekspong, Goldhaber, Goldhaber, Heckman, Perkins, Sandweiss, Segrè, Smith, Stork, Van Rossum, Amaldi, Baroni, Castagnoli, Franzinetti, and Manfredini, Phys. Rev. 105 (1957), 1037[APS]. (36 events)
- The figures we quote are taken from reference (1) and do not include the results of: Ferro-Luzzi, Franzinetti, and Manfredini, Nuovo Cimento 5 (1957), 1797. (14 events)
A. G. Ekspong, S. Johansson, and B. E. Ronne, Nuovo Cimento 8 (1958), 84. (10 events)
A. H. Armstrong and G.M. Frye, Bull. Am. Phys. Soc. Ser. II 2 (1957), 379. (16 events)
Horwitz, Miller, Murray, and Tripp, UCRL (unpublished), reported by O. Piccioni at the 1958 Geneva High Energy Physics Conference (85 PP events inhydrogen bubble chamber).
- E. Fermi, Prog. Theor. Phys. 5 (1950), 570[PTP].
- E. Eberle, Nuovo Cimento 8 (1958), 610.
T. Gotô, Nuovo Cimento 8 (1958), 625.
- N. Yajima and K. Kobayakawa, Prog. Theor. Phys. (Kyoto) 19 (1958), 192[PTP].
- I. Pomeranchuk, Doklady Akad. Nauk USSR 78 (1951), 889.
- Z. Koba and G. Takeda, Prog. Theor. Phys. 19 (1958), 192[PTP].
G. E. A. Fiahlo, Phys. Rev. 105 (1957), 328[APS].
R. Hofstadter, F. Bumiller, and M. R. Yearian, Rev. Mod. Phys. 30 (1958), 482[APS].
H. Miyazawa, Phys. Rev. 101 (1956), 1564[APS].
S. Fubini and W. E. Thirring, Phys. Rev. 105 (1957), 1382[APS].
Yennie, Lévy, and Ravenhall, Rev. Mod. Phys. 29 (1957), 144[APS].
G. Takeda, Phys. Rev. 95 (1954), 1078[APS].
P. P. Srivastava and G. Sudarshan, Phys. Rev. 110 (1958), 765[APS].
Citing Article(s) :
Progress of Theoretical Physics Vol. 24 No. 2 (1960) pp. 271-290
On a Model of Nucleon Structure and Meson-Nucleon Interaction. I
Progress of Theoretical Physics Vol. 25 No. 4 (1961) pp. 646-652
KKππ-Interaction and Nucleon Core