Prog. Theor. Phys. Vol. 24 No. 3 (1960) pp. 495-511
Collective Correlation between Vacuum Nucleons and the S-Wave Pion-Nucleon Scattering
Department of Physics, Nihon University, Tokyo
(Received March 26, 1960)
Scattering of S-wave pion by nucleon was calculated taking into account the collective correlation between vacuum nucleons. The point is that there can exist a strong collective correlation between vacuum nucleons just as between electrons in metal at the absolute zero of temperature, since interaction between vacuum nucleons due to pion is dominantly attractive. The effect of this correlation was calculated using Bogoliubov's method which was very successful in the theory of superconductivity. The phase shift δ3 was calculated using Tamm-Dancoff approximation including up to two pions and one nucleon pair.
It was shown that by taking into account this effect, the result of Dyson et al. using the same approximation was improved greatly, and an overall agreement with experiment was obtained. δ1 was not calculated in this paper.
DOI : 10.1143/PTP.24.495
S. D. Drell and E. M. Henly, Phys. Rev. 88 (1952), 1053[APS].
- N. Fukuda, S. Goto, S. Okubo and K. Sawada, Prog. Theor. Phys. 12 (1954), 79[PTP].
- M. M. Levy and R. E. Marshak, Nuovo Cim. XI (1954), 366.
F. J. Dyson, M. Ross, E. E. Salpeter, S. S. Schweber, M. K. Sundaresan, W. M. Visscher and H. A. Bethe, Phys. Rev. 95 (1954), 1644[APS].
M. M. Levy, Phys. Rev. 98 (1955), 1470[APS].
M. H. Kalos and R. H. Dalitz, Phys. Rev. 100 (1950), 1515[APS].
- E. M. Lomon, Nuovo Cim. IV (1956), 106.
- A. Martin, Nuovo Cim. IV (1956), 369.
C. J. Goebel, Phys. Rev. 101 (1956), 468[APS].
S. D. Drell, M. H. Friedman and F. Zachariasen, Phys. Rev. 104 (1956), 236[APS].
K. Tanaka, Phys. Rev. 108 (1957), 1629[APS].
W. Gilbert, Phys. Rev. 108 (1957), 1078[APS].
- R. Sugano, Prog. Theor. Phys. 22 (1959), 381[PTP].
- K. Kawarabayashi and H. Miyazawa, Prog. Theor. Phys. 23 (1960), 490[PTP].
J. Bardeen, L. N. Cooper, and J. R. Schriefer, Phys. Rev. 106 (1957), 162[APS];
ibid. 107 (1957), 1175[APS].
- N. N. Bogoliubov, J. E. T. P. 34 (1958), 58.
M. L. Goldberger, H. Miyazawa and R. Oehme, Phys. Rev. 99 (1955), 986[APS].
K. Yoshida, Phys. Rev. 111 (1958), 1255[APS].
G. F. Chew, Phys. Rev. 93 (1954), 341[APS].
J. Orear, Phys. Rev. 96 (1954), 176[APS].
- B. Pontecorvo, Report at Ninth Annual Conference on High Energy Nuclear Physics (Kiev).
- H. A. Bethe and de Hoffmann, Mesons and Fields, Vol. II (Interscience Publishers, 1956).
Citing Article(s) :
Progress of Theoretical Physics Vol. 24 No. 6 (1960) pp. 1262-1274
Pion-Nucleon Scattering and Pion-Pion Interaction