Prog. Theor. Phys. Vol. 27 No. 1 (1962) pp. 105-126
A Study on the Extensive Air Showers
Department of Physics, Kinki University, Osaka
(Received August 25, 1961)
With the totally inelastic and half elastic collision models in our previous paper, various quantities in extensive air showers (EAS) are given as functions of the depth from the starting point of EAS. The effect of the fluctuation in the level of shower initiation is illustrated. The calculated results are compared with the experimental ones, taking into account the above fluctuation, and the value of the average inelasticity is estimated. Furthermore, the consistency between the attenuation length obtained by using the correlation diagrams in some quantities and that of the shower intensity is examined in connection with the form of the energy spectrum of the primary particles.
DOI : 10.1143/PTP.27.105
- A. Ueda and N. Ogita, Prog. Theor. Phys. 18 (1957), 269[PTP].
- H. Fukuda, N. Ogita and A. Ueda, Prog. Theor. Phys. 21 (1959), 21[PTP].
- T. E. Cranshaw, J. F. de Beer, W. Galbraith, A. M. Hillas, S. Norris and N. A. Porter, Phil. Mag. 3 (1958), 811.
- S. Miyake, Prog. Theor. Phys. 20 (1958), 844[PTP].
- A. Ueda, Prog. Theor. Phys. 24 (1960), 1231[PTP].
- K. Kamata and J. Nishimura, Prog. Theor. Phys. Suppl. No. 6 (1958), 93[PTP].
B. Rossi and K. Greisen, Rev. Mod. Phys. 13 (1941), 241[APS].
- S. Fukui, H. Hasegawa. T. Matano, I. Miura, M. Oda, K. Suga, G. Tanahashi and Y. Tanaka, Prog. Theor. Phys. Suppl. No. 16 (1960), 1[PTP].
- H. Hasegawa, T. Matano, I. Miura, M. Oda, S. Shibata, G. Tanahashi and Y. Tanaka, report to be presented at the International Conference on Cosmic Rays (Japan, 1961).
- K. Hinotani, J. Phys. Soc. Japan, to be published.
- S. Miyake, K. Hinotani, I. Katsumata, T. Kaneko and N. Ito, report to be presented at the International Conference on Cosmic Rays (Japan, 1961).
- S. Hayakawa and N. Ogita, Proceedings of Moscow Cosmic Ray Conference, Vol. II (1960), 220.
A. Ueda and C. B. A. McCusker, Nucl. Phys. 26 (1961), 35[CrossRef].
J. Hersil, I. Escobar, D. Scott, G. Clark, and S. Olbert, Phys. Rev. Lett. 6 (1961), 22[APS].