Prog. Theor. Phys. Vol. 27 No. 2 (1962) pp. 361-372
Quantum Field Theory with Indefinite Metric
Department of Physics, Kyoto University, Kyoto
(Received September 25, 1961)
Yokoyama's model, a convergent model in quantum field theory with indefinite metric, is investigated in detail in a rather simplified version. Five spinor fields in his model, one is physical and the remaining ones are unphysical, are replaced by the corresponding neutral scalar fields, and a physical neutral scalar field is replaced by a prescribed external field. Apart from the interaction with the external field the equation of motion can be completely solved in the Heisenberg representation by using two sets of “dipole ghost” fields. The particle picture of the physical field is thereby established. It is shown that the unitarity condition of the physical S-matrix is violated in the second order perturbation in the external field. Possible sources of this discrepancy with his result are discussed, and the future prospects of the theory with indefinite metric of this type are also discussed.
DOI : 10.1143/PTP.27.361
- K. Yokoyama, Prog. Theor. Phys. 26 (1961), 131[PTP]; ibid. 26 (1961), 272[PTP]; ibid. 27 (1962), 373[PTP].
- L. K. Pandit, Suppl. Nuovo Cim. 11 (1959), 157.
- K. L. Nagy, Suppl. Nuovo Cim. 17 (1960), 92.
W. Heisenberg, Nucl. Phys. 4 (1957), 532[CrossRef].
- M. Froissart, Suppl. Nuovo Cim. 14 (1959), 197.
- F. Villars, Theoretical Physics in the Twentieth Century (Interscience Publ., 1960), p. 78.
- e. g. H. Lehmann, K. Symanzik and W. Zimmermann, Nuovo Cim. 1 (1955), 134.
- N. N. Bogoljubov, B. V. Medvedev and M. K. Plivanov, Dubna preprint (1958); Proceedings of 1958 Annual International Conference on High Energy Physics at CERN, 129.
- R. Haag, Kgl. Danske Videnskab. Selskab, Mat.-fys. Medd. 29 (1955), No. 12.
- e. g. S. N. Gupta, Proc. Phys. Soc. A 63 (1950), 681.
- S. Tanaka, preprint; to be published in this journal.
- A field of this type is first introduced by H. Kita, Prog. Theor. Phys. 10 (1953), 231[PTP].
Citing Article(s) :
Progress of Theoretical Physics Supplement No.51 (1972) pp. 1-95
Indefinite-Metric Quantum Field Theory