Prog. Theor. Phys. Vol. 30 No. 6 (1963) pp. 786-803
Transport Coefficients of a Degenerate Electron “Liquid”
— Effect of Coulomb Interaction on Determination of Fermi Surfaces
Department of Physics, College of Science and Engineering, Nihon University, Chiyoda-ku, Tokyo
(Received August 7, 1963)
On the basis of Landau's theory of a Fermi liquid the effect of Coulomb interaction is examined with a view to clarifying how it affects the various effective masses of electrons which are imbedded in the sea of uniform positive charge. By solving the kinetic equation which describes the kinetic evolution of the distribution function of mutually interacting quasi-particles, general expressions are obtained for the complex dielectric constant tensor of an electron “liquid” in terms of Landau's two-particle correlation function. Because of the strictness of this kinetic equation in the sense of many-body correlation effect of the Coulomb interaction, the results obtained are completely rigorous and, contrary to the results of the usual high density expansion, can be applied to real metals (disregarding the fact that the correlation function is considered as being given a priori). Plasmon frequency, attenuation constant of ultrasonic waves, screening constant of the Coulomb interaction, anomalous skin effect, cyclotron resonance frequency and other related problems are discussed from this standpoint. Phenomena of not being affected by the interaction can be definitely settled.
DOI : 10.1143/PTP.30.786
- L. D. Landau, J. Exp. Theor. Phys. (USSR) 30 (1956), 1058.
L. D. Landau, J. Exp. Theor. Phys. (USSR) 35 (1958), 97.
J. M. Luttinger, Phys. Rev. 121 (1961), 1251[APS].
- V. P. Silin, J. Exp. Theor. Phys. (USSR) 33 (1957), 495.
- V. P. Silin, J. Exp. Theor. Phys. (USSR) 35 (1958), 1243.
- The articles by E. A. Stern and L. M. Falicov in The Fermi Surface, edited by W. A. Harrison and M. B. Webb (John Wiley & Sons, Inc., New York, 1960).
See also L. M. Falicov and V. Heine, Suppl. Phil. Mag. 10 (1961), 57, and
E. A. Stern, Phys. Rev. 122 (1961), 1773[APS].
- See, for example, S. S. Schweber, H. A. Bethe and F. de Hoffmann, Mesons and Fields (Row, Peterson and Company, 1955), Vol. I, pp. 327-370.
- The review article by Y. Klimontovich and V. P. Silin in Plasma Physics, edited by J. E. Drummond (Mc Graw-Hill Book Company, Inc, 1961).
- V. P. Silin, J. Exp. Theor. Phys. (USSR) 34 (1958), 707.
- See, S. Nakajima, Superconductivity in Japanese (Maki Shoten, Tokyo, 1961).
- S. Nakajima, Prog. Theor. Phys. 23 (1960), 694[PTP].
- V. P. Silin, J. Exp. Theor. Phys. (USSR) 33 (1957), 1282.
- H. Kanazawa, S. Misawa and E. Fujita, Prog. Theor. Phys. 23 (1960), 426[PTP].
D. F. Du Bois, Ann. of Phys. 8 (1959), 24[CrossRef].
- N. Takimoto, Prog. Theor. Phys. 25 (1961), 327[PTP].
- M. Ia. Azbel' and E. A. Kaner, J. Exp. Theor. Phys. (USSR) 32 (1956), 896.
H. Watanabe, J. Phys. Soc. Jpn. 11 (1956), 112[JPSJ].