Prog. Theor. Phys. Vol. 42 No. 6 (1969) pp. 1341-1348
Mass and Width of Δ(1236)
Department of Physics, University of Osaka Prefecture, Sakai, Osaka
*Institute of Physics, College of General Education, Osaka University, Toyonaka, Osaka
(Received June 27, 1969)
It is pointed out that the position and the width of the peak of π-N elastic scattering in the I = J = 3/2 state differ from the mass and the width of Δ(1236) respectively, because of the effect of the “background scattering”. By taking account of this effect we obtain the mass 1214 MeV and the width 97 MeV of Δ(1236) resonance from π-N elastic scattering data alone. These values are in good agreement with those obtained in the γ+ p and K+ + p reactions. We can thus explain why the mass and the width of Δ(1236) produced in the γ+ p and the K+ + p reactions are different from the usual values. A brief discussion is made about the relation between our theory and Jackson's theory with the energy dependent width.
DOI : 10.1143/PTP.42.1341
N. Barash-Schmidt et al., Rev. Mod. Phys. 41 (1969), 109[APS].
- R. H. Dalitz, Ann. Rev. Nucl. Sci. 13 (1963), 339.
C. Michael, Phys. Lett. 21 (1966), 93[CrossRef]. We thank Professor M. Konuma for noticing these papers.
L. D. Roper, R. M. Wright and B. T. Feld, Phys. Rev. 138 (1965), B190[APS].
We use solution 24 (best solution) tabulated in their Table IV.
Use of other solutions may alter Eqs. (1·3) and (1·4) only a few MeV and Eq. (1·5) only a few degrees.
K. M. Watson, Phys. Rev. 95 (1954), 228[APS].
E. Bolt et al., Phys. Rev. 133 (1964), B220[APS].
G. B. Chadwick et al., Phys. Lett. 6 (1963), 309[CrossRef].
- M. Ferro-Luzzi et al., Nuovo Cim. 36 (1965), 1101.
- J. D. Jackson, Nuovo Cim. 34 (1964), 1644.
- M. Gell-Mann, California Institute of Technology Synchrotron Laboratory Report No. CTSL-20, 1961 (unpublished);
Phys. Rev. 125 (1962), 1067[APS].
S. Okubo, Prog. Theor. Phys. 27 (1962), 949[PTP].
- This section is based on the previous work (K. Yamamoto, to be published).
- T. Kanki, Prog. Theor. Phys. 38 (1967), 172[PTP].
- M. Gell-Mann and K. M. Watson, Ann. Rev. Nucl. Sci. 4 (1954), 219.
- J. T. Beale, S. D. Ecklund and R. L. Walker, California Institute of Technology Synchrotron Laboratory Report No. CTSL-42, 1966 (unpublished).
- Reference 2) and references quoted therein.
- See. Eq. (9) in Michael's work cited in reference 2).
Citing Article(s) :
Progress of Theoretical Physics Vol. 44 No. 1 (1970) pp. 230-242
Eigenchannels and Unitary Separation of Background Parts in Regge-Pole Theory
Gaku Konisi and Takesi Saito
Progress of Theoretical Physics Vol. 48 No. 2 (1972) pp. 553-565
Unitarization and the Absorption Regge Cut in the Dual Model