Prog. Theor. Phys. Vol. 43 No. 2 (1970) pp. 390-406
Nuclear Coulomb Effects on the Induced Pseudoscalar Interaction in the Theory of Muon Capture by Nuclei
Department of Physics, Nara Women's University, Nara
(Received June 19, 1969)
Variations of the strength of the induced pseudoscalar coupling CP in muon capture by nuclei due to nuclear Coulomb effects on both pion propagator and muon wave function are calculated by assuming point nuclei with the effective charge Zeffe. Those Coulomb effects depend not only on Zeff but also on the energy of the neutrino emitted in the process in consideration. In the low-energy region of the neutrino the Coulomb effects on both quantities are nearly cancelled out by each other, while in the high-energy region (corresponding to the case of normal muon capture) a considerable net effect remains and CP is reduced by several percent (5 ∼9% for Zeff = 7.47 ∼16.17, i. e. for Z = 8 ∼20) compared with its magnitude when no Coulomb effects are taken into account.
DOI : 10.1143/PTP.43.390
- A great many papers have been published in connection with the matters concerned so that we have given up listing them here one by one; however, some of them are listed, for instance, in the following texts:
H. F. Schopper, Weak Interactions and Nuclear Beta Decay (North-Holland, Amsterdam, 1966), p. 186.
T. D. Lee and C. S. Wu, Annual Review of Nuclear Science, edited by E. Segrè (Annual Reviews, Inc., California), Vol. 15 (1965), p. 453.
J. C. Taylor, Phys. Lett. 11 (1964), 77[CrossRef].
R. J. Glauber and P. C. Martin, Phys. Rev. 104 (1956), 158[APS].
W. T. Chu, I. Nadelhaft and J. Ashkin, Phys. Rev. 137 (1965), B352[APS].
G. A. Lobov, Nucl. Phys. 43 (1963), 430[CrossRef].
J. A. Wheeler, Rev. Mod. Phys. 21 (1949), 133[APS].
J. C. Sens, Phys. Rev. 113 (1959), 679[APS].
D. Tadić, Nucl. Phys. 26 (1961), 338[CrossRef].
L. D. Blokhintsev and E. I. Dolinsky, Nucl. Phys. 34 (1962), 498[CrossRef].
- H. Ohtsubo and A. Fujii, Nuovo Cim. A 42 (1966), 109.
- A. Fujii and Y. Yamaguchi, Prog. Theor. Phys. 31 (1964), 107[PTP].
M. Rho, Phys. Rev. Lett. 18 (1967), 671[APS].
- M. Morita, J. Phys. Soc. Jpn. Suppl. 24 (1968), 419.
M. Hirooka, T. Konishi, R. Morita, H. Narumi, M. Soga and M. Morita, Prog. Theor. Phys. 40 (1968), 808[PTP].
L. L. Foldy and J. D. Walecka, Phys. Rev. 140 (1965), B1339[APS].
V. Gillet and D. A. Jenkins, Phys. Rev. 140 (1965), B32[APS].
- M. Morita, M. Hirooka and H. Narumi, Proceedings of 1966 International Nuclear Physics Conference, edited by R. L. Becker, C. D. Goodman, P. H. Stelson and A. Zucker (Academic Press, New York, 1967), p. 482.
- A. Fujii, M. Morita and H. Ohtsubo, Prog. Theor. Phys. Suppl. Extra Number (1968), 303[PTP].
- L. Wolfenstein, Nuovo Cim. 8 (1958), 882.
M. L. Goldberger and S. B. Treiman, Phys. Rev. 111 (1958), 354[APS].
- H. Primakoff, Proceedings of the International School of Physics “Enrico Fermi”, Varenna, Italy Course 32, directed by T. D. Lee, “Weak Interactions and Neutrino Physics” (Academic Press, New York and London, 1966), p. 96.
A. Alberigi Quaranta, A. Bertin, G. Matone, F. Palmonari, A. Placci, P. Dalpiaz, G. Torelli and E. Zavattini, Phys. Lett. B 25 (1967), 429[CrossRef].
- A. Fujii, Nuovo Cim. 27 (1963), 1025.
- A. Fujii, J. I. Fujita and M. Morita, Prog. Theor. Phys. 32 (1964), 438[PTP].
Y. Fujii and J. I. Fujita, Phys. Rev. 140 (1965), B239[APS].
- J. I. Fujita, Z. Matumoto, E. Kuroboshi and H. Miyazawa, Prog. Theor. Phys. 20 (1958), 308[PTP].
M. Conversi, R. Diebold and L. DI Lella, Phys. Rev. 136 (1964), B1077[APS].
- T. Miyazima, private communication.
- M. Rho, Université de Grenoble-Ecole d'été de Physique Théorique cours donnés aux Houches en 1968 (1968 Les Houches Lectures), edited by C. DeWitt and R. Balian (Gordon and Breach, New York, London, Paris), to be published.
M. Ericson and T. E. O. Ericson, Ann. of Phys. 36 (1966), 323[CrossRef]; the preceding works of the matters concerned are cited in this reference.
- M. Hirooka, T. Konishi, R. Morita, H. Narumi, M. Soga and M. Morita, Prog. Theor. Phys. 40 (1968), 808[PTP].
Citing Article(s) :
Progress of Theoretical Physics Vol. 59 No. 1 (1978) pp. 141-148
Coulomb Correction to Beta Decay in Elementary Particle Treatment
Toru Sato and Hisao Ohtsubo