Prog. Theor. Phys. Vol. 48 No. 3 (1972) pp. 783-807
A Thermodynamic Perturbation Theory of the Anharmonic Oscillator. II
— Density Matrix
Department of Physics, Boston University, Boston, Massachusetts 02215
(Received March 1, 1972)
A thermodynamic perturbation method for the quantum-anharmonic oscillator is studied, based upon the Bloch equation. By this method the density matrix (Green's function) for the anharmonic oscillator can be obtained in a compact form for each order of the perturbation series. It is shown that the density matrix of the anharmonic oscillator can be readily expanded in series of the Hermite polynomials. The various expressions of the expansion series for the density matrix are also derived by a unified method.
DOI : 10.1143/PTP.48.783
- S. Naya, Prog. Theor. Phys. 48 (1972), 407[PTP].
- S. Naya and A. Siegel, Kwansei Gakuin University Annual Studies XX (1971).
- P. Choquard, The Anharmonic Crystal (Benjamin, New York, 1967), Chap. 5, p. 174.
- D. ter Haar, Theory and Applications of the Density Matrix, Many-Body Problems, ed.
S. F. Edwards (Benjamin, New York, 1969), p. 33.
G. E. Uhlenbeck and L. S. Ornstein, Phys. Rev. 36 (1930), 823[APS].
S. Chandrasekhar, Rev. Mod. Phys. 15 (1943), 1[APS].
- A. Siegel, Rarefied Gas Dynamics, ed. L. Talbot (Academic, New York, 1961), p. 261.
A. Siegel and H. Akama, Phys. Fluids 8 (1965), 1218[AIP Scitation].
I. Kohlberg and A. Siegel, Physica 36 (1967), 557[CrossRef].