Prog. Theor. Phys. Vol. 51 No. 6 (1974) pp. 1750-1763
Energy Extraction in the Weyl Space-Time
— Maximum Binding Energy and Gravitational Energy Radiated by a Falling Particle
Department of Physics, Kyoto University, Kyoto
(Received November 30, 1973)
We investigate a possibility of extraction of energy from a particle falling in a family of space-time with static and axially-symmetric Weyl metrics which are parametrized by quadrupole moment Q in weak field. Firstly we calculate the maximum binding energy in circular motion around a symmetrical axis in the equatorial plane. Secondly, using the formula of the gravitational radiation in flat space, we calculate the total energy radiated as gravitational radiation from a particle falling into an axially symmetrical collapsed object. We find that the total energy radiated becomes infinite when the distortion of the collapsed objects becomes large.
DOI : 10.1143/PTP.51.1750
D. Lynden-Bell, Nature 223 (1969), 690[CrossRef].
- R. Ruffini and J. A. Wheeler, Gravitational Radiation in the Cortona Symposium on Weak Interactions, edited by L. Radicati (1971).
S. W. Hawking, Commun. Math. Phys. 25 (1972), 152[CrossRef].
A. Tomimatsu and H. Sato, Phys. Rev. Lett. 29 (1972), 1344[APS].
- A. Tomimatsu and H. Sato, Prog. Theor. Phys. 50 (1973), 95[PTP].
- J. L. Synge, Relativity–The General Theory–(North-Holland Publishing Company, Amsterdam, 1964).
B. Carter, Phys. Rev. 174 (1968), 1559[APS].
W. Israel, Nature 216 (1967), 148[CrossRef].
- M. Misra, Proc. Natl. Inst. Sci. India A 26 (1960), 673.
R. Gautreau and J. L. Anderson, Phys. Lett. A 25 (1967), 291[CrossRef].
D. Zipoy, J. Math. Phys. 7 (1966), 1137[CrossRef].
- L. D. Landau and E. M. Lifshitz, The Classical Theory of Fields (Pergamon Press, 1959).
M. Davis, R. Ruffini, W. Press and R. Price, Phys. Rev. Lett. 27 (1971), 1466[APS].
B. H. Voorhees, Phys. Rev. D 2 (1970), 2119[APS].