Prog. Theor. Phys. Vol. 52 No. 1 (1974) pp. 68-83
Multiple Scattering of Slow Neutrons by Statistical Media
Department of Applied Science, Faculty of Engineering, Tohoku University, Sendai
(Received October 29, 1973)
A general expression for scattering cross section of slow neutrons by statistical media which includes all corrections from the multiple scattering is proposed. In place of the usual Van Hove scattering function, a general one is deduced. For a system composed of N non-interacting identical nuclei, it is represented in a form of the Van Hove scattering function S(q, ω) multiplied by a constant factor independent of q and ω, under some approximations. The numerical estimation of the constant factor is carried out.
DOI : 10.1143/PTP.52.68
- T. Springer, Springer tracts in modern physics, Vol. 64 (1972), edited by G. Höhler.
- W. Marshall and S. W. Lovesey, Theory of Thermal Neutron Scattering (1971).
Van Hove, Phys. Rev. 95 (1954), 249[APS].
B. N. Brockhouse, L. M. Corliss and J. M. Hastings, Phys. Rev. 98 (1955), 1721[APS].
- M. Sakamoto, B. N. Brockhouse, R. G. Johnson and N. K. Pope, J. Phys. Soc. Jpn., Vol. 17, Sup. B-II, 1962; Proceedings of the International Conference on Magnetism and Crystalgraphy 1961, Vol. II 370.
P. D. Randolph and K. S. Singwi, Phys. Rev. 152 (1966), 909[APS].
K. R. Rao, B. A. Dasannacharya and S. Yip, J. Phys. C: Solid State Phys. 4 (1971), 2725[IoP STACKS].
A. Tiitta and E. Tunkelo, Physica 54 (1971), 393[CrossRef].
G. H. Vineyard, Phys. Rev. 96 (1954), 93[APS].
- E. L. Slaggie, Nucl. Sci. Eng. 30 (1967), 199.
- R. J. Glauber, Lecture in Theor. Phys., Vol. IV, University of Colorado (1961), 571.
B. A. Lippmann, Phys. Rev. 79 (1950), 481[APS].
J. P. Plummer and G. C. Summerfield, Phys. Rev. 131 (1963), 1153[APS].
G. C. Summerfield, Ann. of Phys. 26 (1964), 72[CrossRef].
- S. Sunakawa, Y. Fukui and T. Nishigori, Prog. Theor. Phys. 35 (1966), 228[PTP].
T. Nishigori, S. Yamasaki and S. Sunakawa, Prog. Theor. Phys. 39 (1968), 37[PTP].
- L. D. Faddeev, Sov. Phys. -JETP 12 (1961), 1014.
J. C. Y. Chen and C. J. Joachain, Physica 53 (1971), 333[CrossRef].
- T. Nishigori, J. Nucl. Energy 27 (1973), 171.