Prog. Theor. Phys. Vol. 54 No. 4 (1975) pp. 1129-1145
Multiple Scattering from Overlapping Potentials
— The Effective Propagator Approximation
Department of Physics and Atomic Energy Research Institute, College of Science and Technology, Nihon University, Tokyo 101
(Received August 29, 1974)
We propose a theoretical technique to solve the problem of scattering from an assembly to overlapping potentials. The method is called effective propagator approximation and can describe the off-shell effects due to the overlap of potentials. The solution involves a matrix inversion similar to the one found previously in treating scattering from non-overlapping potentials or from separable potentials. The approximation consists in replacing the exact free Green's function by an effective operator of simpler nature. The effective operator is determined by means of a variational principle so as to minimize the error coming from the replacement. The method is shown to reproduce as special cases the exact solutions to the problems with non-overlapping potentials and with separable ones, and is expected to work in the case of realistic, inseparable and overlapping potentials.
DOI : 10.1143/PTP.54.1129
- R. J. Glauber, in Lectures in Theoretical Physics, edited by W. E. Brittin and L. G. Dunham (Interscience Publisher's Inc., New York, 1959), Vol. 1, p. 315.
- R. J. Glaubdr, in High-Energy Physics and Nuclear Structure, edited by S. Devons (Plenum Press, New York & London, 1970), p. 207.
- H. Feshbach, in In Honor of Philip M. Morse, edited by H. Feshbach and K. U. Ingaard (M. I. T. Press, Cambridge, Mass., 1969), p. 190.
- L. L. Foldy and J. D. Walecka, Ann. of Phys. 54 (1969), 443.
- M. L. Goldberger and K. M. Watson, Collision Theory (Wiley, New York, 1964).
M. A. B. Bèg, Ann. of Phys. 13 (1961), 110[CrossRef].
D. Agassi and A. Gal, Ann. of Phys. 75 (1973), 56[CrossRef].
D, Agassi, A. Gal and V. Mandelzweig, Ann. of Phys. 91 (1975), 194[CrossRef].
D. A. Sparrow, J. F. Walker and W. J. Gerace, Phys. Lett. B 48 (1974), 186[CrossRef].
D. A. Sparrow, Ann. of Phys. 91 (1975), 157[CrossRef].
- A. de Shalit and I. Talmi, Nuclear Shell Theory (Academic Press, New York, 1963).
J. Hüfner, Nucl. Phys. B 58 (1973), 55[CrossRef].
W. R. Gibbs, Phys. Rev. C 10 (1974), 2166[APS].
Citing Article(s) :
Progress of Theoretical Physics Vol. 56 No. 1 (1976) pp. 135-150
Cluster Decomposition of the S Matrix and Density Expansion of Nuclear Phase Shifts