Prog. Theor. Phys. Vol. 56 No. 5 (1976) pp. 1360-1373
Theory of Relaxation Time of the Bose-Einstein Condensate
Department of Applied Physics, Faculty of Engineering, Nagoya University, Nagoya 464
*Department of Physics, Nagoya University, Nagoya 464
(Received March 10, 1976)
Relaxation of the Bose-Einstein condensate to its equilibrium density is discussed in a linear approximation of deviations. In particular, a microscopic theoretical expression for the relaxation time is given, which is applicable when the time is much longer than the correlation time of the random forces acting on the condensate. The relaxation time is inversely proportional to the condensate density. The phase of the condensate also relaxes to its equilibrium value of broken symmetry in accordance with the Josephson equation.
DOI : 10.1143/PTP.56.1360
- L. Tisza, Nature 141 (1938), 913.
- L. Landau, J. Phys. USSR 5 (1941), 71.
- C. J. Gorter, K. W. Taconis and J. J. M. Beenakker, Physics 17 (1951), 841.
C. J. Gorter, Proceedings of the International Conference on Low Temperature Physics, Oxford (1951), p. 97.
T. Usui, Physica 17 (1951), 694[CrossRef].
T. Usui, Busseiron Kenkyu (mimeographed circular in Japanese) No. 54 (1952), 45.
- L. P. Pitaevskii, Zh. E. T. F. 35 (1958), 408.
- T. Usui, Prog. Theor. Phys. 41 (1969), 1603[PTP].
- T. Usui and J. Yamauchi, Soviet-Japan Conference on Low Tempearture Physics, Novosibirsk, 1969.
- L. D. Landau and E. M. Lifshitz, Statistical Physics.
A. E. Glassgold and H. Sauermann, Phys. Rev. 182 (1969), 262[APS].
O. Penrose and L. Onsager, Phys. Rev. 104 (1956), 576[APS].
- H. Mori, Prog. Theor. Phys. 33 (1965), 423[PTP].
- K. Miyake and K. Yamada, Prog. Theor. Phys. 56 (1976), 1689[PTP].
Citing Article(s) :
Progress of Theoretical Physics Vol. 56 No. 6 (1976) pp. 1689-1704
Dynamics of Bose-Einstein Condensate and Two-Fluid Hydrodynamics
Kazumasa Miyake and Kazuo Yamada
Progress of Theoretical Physics Vol. 58 No. 1 (1977) pp. 147-160
Structure of the Green Function for the Bose Liquid near the Lambda Point