Prog. Theor. Phys. Vol. 62 No. 4 (1979) pp. 915-926
The Phase Separation and the Diffusive Instabilities Accompanied by the Nematic-Isotropic Transition of the Liquid Crystalline Mixtures
Department of Physics, University of Tokyo, Tokyo 113
(Received June 4, 1979)
The phase separation induced by the nematic-isotropic transition in the mixture of nematogen and spherical molecules is investigated, by the use of a simplified version of the model of Humphries, James and Luckhurst, which includes the effect of the isotropic part of the intermolecular potential. The diffusive instabilities of the isotropic and nematic phases are also investigated. It is shown that the coexistence reigon and of the diffusive instability become large and the triple point appears, as the isotropic part of the intermolecular potential becomes effective for the phase separation, while the isotropic part does not play an essential role at high temperatures and low concentration of spherical molecules. The relationship with the phase separation of the magnetic alloys and the 4He-3He mixtures is also discussed.
DOI : 10.1143/PTP.62.915
- J. W. Cahn, Acta. Met. 9 (1961), 765.
J. S. Langer, Ann. of Phys. 65 (1971), 53[CrossRef].
Y. Saito, J. Phys. Soc. Jpn. 41 (1976), 388[JPSJ];
ibid. 41 (1976), 1129[JPSJ].
- R. L. Humphries, P. G. James and G. R. Luckhurst, Symp. Faraday Soc. 5 (1971), 107.
R. L. Humphries and G. R. Luckhurst, Proc. Roy. Soc. A 352 (1976), 41, and the references therein.
- W. Maier and A. Saupe, Z. Naturforsch. 13a (1958), 564; ibid. 14a (1959), 882.
- G. I. Ågren and D. E. Martire, J. de Phys. 36 (1975), C1-141.
H. T. Peterson, D. E. Martire and M. A. Cotter, J. Chem. Phys. 61 (1974), 3547[CrossRef].
G. Ågren, Phys. Rev. A 11 (1975), 1040[APS].
- T. Kawasaki, Prog. Theor. Phys. 58 (1977), 357[PTP].
- M. Yamashita and H. Nakano, Prog. Theor. Phys. 61 (1979), 764[PTP].
M. Blume, V. J. Emery and R. B. Griffiths, Phys. Rev. A 4 (1971), 1071[APS].
- J. L. Cardy and D. J. Scalapino, preprint.
- T. Kawasaki, Prog. Theor. Phys. 59 (1978), 1812[PTP].
- T. Kawasaki, Prog. Theor. Phys. 61 (1979), 384[PTP].
Citing Article(s) :
Progress of Theoretical Physics Vol. 64 No. 3 (1980) pp. 1082-1085
The Phase Separation and the Diffusive Instabilities Accompanied by the Nematic-Isotropic Transition of the Liquid Crystalline Mixtures. II