Prog. Theor. Phys. Vol. 63 No. 4 (1980) pp. 1202-1212
Dynamical Accumulation of an Infinitely Conducting Plasma towards the Neutral Line of a Magnetic Field
Research Institute for Theoretical Physics, Hiroshima University, Takehara, Hiroshima 725
(Received November 13, 1979)
Dynamical accumulation process of an infinitely conducting plasma towards the neutral line of a magnetic field is analytically studied within a framework of one-dimensional magnetohydrodynamics. By virtue of a suitable approximation it is shown that after a finite time interval the plasma density and magnetic field are pinched with a characteristic spatial structure near the neutral line, and then release process of the magnetic energy will be set up. These processes in the solar chromosphere are discussed in relation to the flare phenomena.
DOI : 10.1143/PTP.63.1202
- J. W. Dungey, Phil. Mag. Ser. 7, 44 (1953), 725.
- V. S. Imshennik and S. I. Syrovatskii, Sov. Phys. -JETP 25 (1967), 656.
- See, e. g., R. Courant and D. Hilbert, Methods of Mathematical Physics (John Wiley and Sons, Inc., 1962), vol. 2.
J. Heyverts, E. R. Priest and D. M. Rust, Astrophys. J. 216 (1977), 123[CrossRef].
- A. M. Soward and E. R. Priest, Phil. Trans. R. Soc. 284 (1977), 369.
- T. Sato and T. Hayashi, Phys. Fluids 22 (1979), 1189.