Prog. Theor. Phys. Vol. 63 No. 1 (1980) pp. 122-139
Critical Phenomena of Classical Fluids under Flow. I
— Mean Field Approximation
Department of Physics, Kyushu University 33, Fukuoka 812
(Received September 11, 1979)
We investigate steady states properties of critical, classical fluids subjected to incompressible flows in this and subsequent papers. Critical fluctuations can be greatly affected by flows when magnitudes of velocity gradients, which have the dimension of frequency, exceed the average decay rate of critical fluctuations. There, various interesting nonlinear effects can be expected and will be observed in experiments. This is analogous to polymeric solutions with flow. The first paper is concerned with some general discussion of the variance of order parameter fluctuations in the mean field approximation.
DOI : 10.1143/PTP.63.122
A. Onuki and K. Kawasaki, Ann. of Phys. 121 (1979), 456[CrossRef].
- A. Onuki and K. Kawasaki, Prog. Theor. Phys. Suppl. No. 64 (1978), 436[PTP].
A. Onuki and K. Kawasaki, Phys. Lett. A 72 (1979), 233[CrossRef].
- K. Kawasaki and A. Onuki, in Lecture Notes in Physics (Springer, Heidelberg, 1979).
D. Beysens, M. Gbadamassi and L. Boyer, submitted to Phys. Rev. Lett. 43 (1979), 1253[APS].
- D. Beysens and M. Gbadamassi, Saclay Preprint.
M. Gitterman, Rev. Mod. Phys. 50 (1978), 85[APS].
D. W. Oxtoby, J. Chem. Phys. 62 (1975), 1463[CrossRef].
D. W. Oxtoby and H. Metiu, Phys. Rev. Lett. 36 (1976), 1092[APS].
- R. B. Bird, R. C. Armstrong and O. Hassager, Dynamics of Polymeric Liquids, Fluid Mechanics (John Wiley and Sons, 1977), vol. 1.
- D. J. Tritton, Physical Fluid Dynamics (van Nostrand Reinhold Company, 1977).
M. R. Moldover, J. V. Sengers, R. W. Gammon and R. J. Hocken, Rev. Mod. Phys. 51 (1979), 79[APS].
- W. Skocpol and M. Tinkham, Rep. Prog. Theor. Phys. 38 (1975), 1049[PTP].
Citing Article(s) :
Progress of Theoretical Physics Vol. 63 No. 6 (1980) pp. 1854-1864
Steady States with Heat Flow near Critical Points
Progress of Theoretical Physics Supplement No.69 (1980) pp. 146-159
Critical Phenomena in Two-Dimensional Incompressible Flows
Akira Onuki and Kyozi Kawasaki