Prog. Theor. Phys. Vol. 63 No. 3 (1980) pp. 831-841
Commensurate-Incommensurate Transition and Melting in Two-Dimension
Institut für Festkörperforschung der Kernforschungsanlage Jülich, D-5170 Jülich, Fed. Rep. Germany
(Received December 3, 1979)
The phase diagram for the two-dimensional sine-Gordon system with
incommensurability is investigated using a self-consistent variational
approach. At T = 0 the system undergoes a well-known continuous
transition between commensurate (C) and incommensurate (IC) solid
phases. At low temperatures 0 < T < TR/2 the C-solid phase is separated
from the IC-solid phase by a first-order transition line, and at high
temperatures TR/2 ≤T < TR the C-solid phase is separated by a
liquid phase by a first-order transition line. TR is the roughening
or melting temperature for the system without incommensurability,
and this melting transition at TR is continuous. The liquid and
the IC-solid phases are separated by a continuous transition line at
T = TR/2, where the free energy has an essential singularity.
DOI : 10.1143/PTP.63.831
P. Bak, V. J. Emery, Phys. Rev. Lett. 36 (1976), 978[APS].
W. L. McMillan, Phys. Rev. B 14 (1976), 1496[APS].
G. Theodorou and T. M. Rice, Phys. Rev. B 18 (1978), 2840[APS].
J. B. Sokoloff and A. Widom, Phys. Rev. B 18 (1978), 2824[APS].
W. Selke and M. E. Fisher, Phys. Rev. B 20 (1979), 257[APS].
J. van Boehm and P. Bak, Phys. Rev. Lett. 42 (1979), 122[APS].
S. C. Ying, Phys. Rev. B 3 (1971), 4160[APS].
- P. Bak, in Soliton and Condensed Matter Physics, ed. by A. R. Bishop and T. Schneider (Springer, Berlin, 1978).
V. L. Pokrovsky and A. L. Talapov, Phys. Rev. Lett. 42 (1979), 65[APS].
- H. Yamamoto, Prog. Theor. Phys. 61 (1979), 1295[PTP].
- F. C. Frank and J. H. Van der Merwe, Proc. Roy. Soc. London 198 (1949), 205; ibid. 198 (1949), 216.
- H. Müller-Krumbhaar, in 1976 Crystal Growth and Materials, ed. by E. Kaldis and H. Scheel (North Holland, Amsterdam-New York-Oxford, 1977), and references cited therein.
- T. Ohta and K. Kawasaki, Prog. Theor. Phys. 60 (1978), 365[PTP].
- Y. Saito, Z. Phys. B 32 (1978), 75.
P. B. Wiegmann, J. Phys. C 11 (1978), 1583[IoP STACKS].
- Y. Saito, Prog. Theor. Phys. 62 (1979), 927[PTP].
- Janke Emde, Funktionaltafeln (1938), p. 52.
Citing Article(s) :
Progress of Theoretical Physics Vol. 65 No. 2 (1981) pp. 427-436
Phase Transitions in Two-Dimensional Classical Pseudo-Harmonic Model
Progress of Theoretical Physics Vol. 69 No. 4 (1983) pp. 1291-1294
Commensurate-Incommensurate Transition in a Two Dimensional Classical Sine-Gordon System
Progress of Theoretical Physics Supplement No.69 (1980) pp. 397-405
Commensurate-Incommensurate Transition with 2 × 2 Structure in the Mean-Field Approximation