Prog. Theor. Phys. Vol. 67 No. 5 (1982) pp. 1290-1304
Theory of the Infrared Absorption in the Ordered Solid Hydrogen
Department of Physics, Osaka University, Toyonaka 560
(Received October 26, 1981)
The infrared absorption coefficient in the ordered solid orthohydrogen
is calculated by making use of our anharmonic theory for libron (J =
1 excitation) and roton (J = 3 excitation). The momentum dependence
of the transition amplitudes has properly been taken into account in
conformity with our formalism. The shape of vibrational bands
including J = 1,3 rotational excitations is figured out in good
agreement with the experiment by Boggs, Clouter and Welsh. A similar
study has also been done for the infrared absorption spectra
associated with parahydrogen molecules in the ordered orthohydrogen
solid, where the spectral shape to be assigned to J = 0→2
transition is proved to come from the vibron band in agreement with experiment.
DOI : 10.1143/PTP.67.1290
W. N. Hardy, I. F. Silvera and J. P. McTague, Phys. Rev. B 12 (1975), 753[APS].
- H. P. Gush, W. F. J. Hare, E. J. Allin and H. L. Welsh, Can. J. Phys. 38 (1960), 176.
- S. A. Boggs, M. J. Clouter and H. L. Welsh, Can. J. Phys. 50 (1972), 2063.
- T. Nakamura, Prog. Theor. Phys. 14 (1955), 135[PTP].
- A review article:
I. F. Silvera, Rev. Mod. Phys. 52 (1980), 393[APS].
A. B. Harris, Phys. Rev. B 1 (1970), 1881[APS].
S. Luryi and J. Van Kranendonk, Can. J. Phys. 57 (1979), 307.
C. F. Coll, III and A. B. Harris, Phys. Rev. B 4 (1971), 2781[APS].
- M. Fujio, J. Igarashi and T. Nakamura, Prog. Theor. Phys. 59 (1978), 329[PTP].
- J. Igarashi, Prog. Theor. Phys. 61 (1979), 719[PTP].
- J. Igarashi, M. Fujio and T. Nakamura, Prog. Theor. Phys. 62 (1979), 311[PTP].
J. Van Kranendonk, Physica 23 (1957), 825[CrossRef]; Can. J. Phys. 38 (1960), 240.
A. B. Harris, A. J. Berlinsky and H. Meyer, Phys. Rev. B 7 (1973), 4720[APS].
- B. P. Stoicheff, Can. J. Phys. 35 (1957), 730.
G. Karl and J. D. Poll, J. Chem. Phys. 46 (1967), 2944[CrossRef].
W. Ko\notlos and L. Wolniewicz, J. Chem. Phys. 46 (1967), 1426[CrossRef].
Citing Article(s) :
Journal of the Physical Society of Japan 58 (1989) pp. 3406-3417
Theory of Vibrational Overtones and Rotational Excitations in Solid Parahydrogen –Frequency Analysis of the Infrared Spectra–
Kenji Morishita and Jun-ichi Igarashi