Prog. Theor. Phys. Vol. 68 No. 6 (1982) pp. 2180-2183
On the β-Model of Intermittent Fully-Developed Turbulence
Department of Physics, Kyushu University, Fukuoka 812
*Department of Physics, Kagoshima University, Kagoshima 890
(Received June 28, 1982)
Various properties of the β-model are discussed from a new point of view. It is shown that a model proposed by Kida is based on a misunderstanding of Mandelbrot's fractal dimension and uses an incorrect expression for the mean rate of energy transfer in the energy cascade, and consequently Kida's critique on our works is irrelevant.
DOI : 10.1143/PTP.68.2180
U. Frisch, P. L. Sulem and M. Nelkin, J. Fluid Mech. 87 (1978), 719[CrossRef].
- B. B. Mandelbrot, Fractals: Form, Chance and Dimension (Freeman, San Francisco, 1977); in Fluid Dynamics, ed. by R. Balian and J. L. Peube (Gordon and Breach, London, 1977), 556.
- H. Fujisaka and H. Mori, Prog. Theor. Phys. 62 (1979), 54[PTP].
- H. Mori and H. Fujisaka, Prog. Theor. Phys. 63 (1980), 1931[PTP]; in Systems Far from Equilibrium, Lecture Notes in Physics 132 (Springer-Verlag, 1980), 181.
- S. Kida, Prog. Theor. Phys. 67 (1982), 1630[PTP].
- A. S. Monin and A. M. Yaglom, Statistical Fluid Mechanics (MIT Press, Cambridge, 1975), chap. 25.
M. Nelkin, Phys. Fluids 24 (1981), 556[AIP Scitation].
- H. Mori, Prog. Theor. Phys. Suppl. No. 69 (1980), 111[PTP].
Citing Article(s) :
Progress of Theoretical Physics Vol. 75 No. 6 (1986) pp. 1295-1303
The Scaling Exponents of Intermittent Fully Developed Turbulence Based on a New Model