Prog. Theor. Phys. Vol. 68 No. 1 (1982) pp. 49-63
Side Wall Effect on the Pattern Formation of the Rayleigh-Bénard Convection
Osaka Kyoiku University, Osaka 543
(Received September 18, 1981)
The effect of stress-free side walls on the pattern formation of the Rayleigh-Bénard convection is studied for the case in which the mode of the l-roll pattern and the mode of the l + 1-roll pattern bifurcate from the conduction state successively. In this case the mode of the l-roll pattern prevails when the Prandtl number is small and the aspect ratio (ratio of the side length to the height of the fluid layer) is small. The mode interaction is also studied for the case in which rolls of one mode have axes parallel to the x-direction and rolls of the other mode have axes parallel to the y-direction. In this case the mode interaction produces an unstable grid pattern. In this paper a system of equations is derived from the Boussinesq equations by reductive perturbation method to explain this mode interaction.
DOI : 10.1143/PTP.68.49
C. Normand, Y. Pomeau and M. G. Velarde, Rev. Mod. Phys. 49 (1977), 581[APS].
- D. H. Sattinger, Group Theoretic Methods in Bifurcation Theory (lecture note given at Univ. Chicago, 1978).
K. Stork and U. Müller, J. Fluid Mech. 71 (1975), 231[CrossRef].
H. Haucke, Y. Maeno, P. Warkentin and J. Wheatley, J. Low Temp. Phys. 44 (1981), 505[CrossRef].
- P. Bergé, Proc. Int. Conf. Geneva, 1979 (Lecture Notes in Physics 104, Springer-Verlarg, 1979), p. 288.
G. Ahlers and R. W. Walden, Phys. Rev. Lett. 44 (1980), 445[APS].
S. H. Davis, J. Fluid Mech. 30 (1967), 465[CrossRef].
- G. S. Charlson and R. L. Sani, Int. J. Heat Mass Transfer 14 (1971), 2157.
- Y. Pomeau and P. Manneville, J. de Phys. Lett. 40 (1979), 609.
M. C. Cross, P. G. Daniels, P. C. Hohenberg and E. D. Siggia, Phys. Rev. Lett. 45 (1980), 898[APS].
J. Coste and N. Peyraud, Phys. Lett. A 83 (1981), 263[CrossRef].
- E. Knobloch and J. Guckenheimer, preprint.
A. C. Newell and J. A. Whitehead, J. Fluid Mech. 38 (1969), 279[CrossRef].
- S. Chandrasekhar, Hydrodynamic and Hydromagnetic Stability (Oxford University Press, London, 1961).
- H. Kidachi, Prog. Theor. Phys. 63 (1980), 1152[PTP].
- H. Kidachi, Prog. Theor. Phys. 64 (1980), 1861[PTP].
- H. Kidachi, Prog. Theor. Phys. 65 (1981), 1584[PTP].
Citing Article(s) :
Journal of the Physical Society of Japan 57 (1988) pp. 1650-1661
Electrohydrodynamic Convective Instability in a Horizontal Fluid Layer with Temperature Gradient
Hyung-Jong Ko and Moon-Uhn Kim
Journal of the Physical Society of Japan 75 (2006) 034401
(5 pages) :
Folded Solution Branches in Rayleigh–Bénard Convection in the Presence of Avoided Crossings of Neutral Stability Curves
Yuki Kato and Kaoru Fujimura
Progress of Theoretical Physics Supplement No.161 (2006) pp. 53-67
Nearly Inviscid Faraday Waves in Slightly Rectangular Containers
María Higuera and Edgar Knobloch