Prog. Theor. Phys. Vol. 76 No. 2 (1986) pp. 481-489
A Natural Mechanism for Gauge Hierarchies by Non-Perturbative Effects
Department of Nuclear Engineering, Kyoto University, Kyoto 606
(Received March 1, 1986)
A system with the local gauge invariance is investigated in which the Higgs scalar field φ interacts with the classical gauge field Aµ. The effective Lagrangian Leff(Aµ) of the gauge field is obtained in an approximate but analytic form by integrating all the quantum effects of φ. The Leff(Aµ) consists of two parts: One is the perturbative part LP(Aµ) obtained by the usual loop expansion and the other the non-perturbative one LNP(Aµ) on the background configuration in which the field φ fluctuates violently.
It is shown that the gauge field Aµ acquires the hierarchically small mass generated by the non-perturbative quantum effects of φ, if the potential U(φ) of the Higgs scalar φ has a local minimum at |φ| ≠0 in addition to the global one at φ=0.
DOI : 10.1143/PTP.76.481
S. Coleman and E. Weinberg, Phys. Rev. D7 (1973), 1888[APS].
- G. Morchio and F. Strocchi, Phys. Lett. 104B (1981), 277.
- K. Tabata and I. Umemura, Prog. Theor. Phys. 74 (1985), 1360[PTP].
K. G. Wilson, Phys. Rev. D6 (1972), 419[APS].
For a review see K. G. Wilson and G. Kogut, Phys. Rep. 12C (1974), 76.
- R. Fukuda, Prog. Theor. Phys. 56 (1976), 258[PTP].
- A. D. Linde, JETP Lett. 23 (1976), 64.
S. Weinberg, Phys. Rev. Lett. 33 (1976), 294[APS].
- J. Fröhlich, Proc. the Heisenberg Symposium Held in München, July 16-21, 1981 “Unifield Theories of Elementary Particles”, ed. P. Breitenlohner and H. P. Dürr (Springer-Verlag, Berlin, Heidelberg, New York, 1982), p. 117.
- J. Fröhlich, G. Morchio and F. Strocchi, Phys. Lett. 97B (1980), 249;
Nucl. Phys. B190[FS3] (1981), 553[Elsevier].
Citing Article(s) :
Progress of Theoretical Physics Vol. 77 No. 3 (1987) pp. 702-710
A Natural Mechanism for Generating the Electroweak Scale by Non-Perturbative Effects
Kenzi Tabata and Isao Umemura