Prog. Theor. Phys. Vol. 79 No. 3 (1988) pp. 710-720
Semi-Inclusive Rapidity Distributions from a Longitudinal Phase Space
Department of Physics, Tohoku University, Sendai 980
*Computer Center, Tohoku University, Sendai 980
(Received November 13, 1987)
Single particle rapidity distributions in events with fixed multiplicities are calculated using a longitudinal phase space model with a constant transverse momentum. Two cases (1) pion-pion collisions with no leading pions (or e+e- annihilation into pions) and (2) nucleon-nucleon collisions with leading nucleons are considered and numerical results are given for the c.m. total energy W = 540 GeV. In Case (1), sharp peaks appear at the ends of the available rapidity space when the multiplicity n is less than 13 while the peaks disappear and a flat plateau develops when 15 \lesssimn \lesssim60. The plateau changes into a smooth bump as n increases further. In Case (2), both peaks at low n and a plateau at medium n are smeared out considerably by the leading particle effect, and a smooth bump dominates for almost all range of n. Prominent dips observed experimentally in the pseudorapidity distributions for low n are not reproduced in the calculated rapidity distributions.
DOI : 10.1143/PTP.79.710
- F. Takagi, Prog. Theor. Phys. 66 (1981), 362[PTP].
- A partial list of numerous works on the longitudinal phase space includes;
L. Van Hove, Rev. Mod. Phys. 36 (1964), 655[APS]; Nucl. Phys. B9 (1969), 331.
F. Lurcat and P. Mazur, Nuovo Cim. 31 (1964), 140.
E. H. De Groot and Th. W. Ruijgrok, Nucl. Phys. B27 (1971), 45.
B. R. Webber, Nucl. Phys. B43 (1972), 541.
D. Sivers and G. H. Thomas, Phys. Rev. D6 (1972), 1961[APS].
D. K. Campbell, Phys. Rev. D6 (1972), 2658[APS].
N. Murai and T. Sasaki, Prog. Theor. Phys. 54 (1975), 154[PTP].
J. Benecke, A. Bialas and A. Kotanski, Acta Phys. Pol. B8 (1977), 931.
- See, for example, A. G. Frodesen and P. Nyborg, Nucl. Phys. B81 (1974), 283.
- CERN EP/82-134, paper presented at the XXI International Conference on High Energy Physics, Paris, July 1982.
- UA1 Collaboration, G. Arnison et al., Phys. Lett. 123B (1983), 108.
- F. Takagi, Z. Phys. C19 (1983), 213.
- UA5 Collaboration, G. J. Alner et al., Phys. Lett. 160B (1985), 199.
- F. Takagi, Prog. Theor. Phys. 77 (1987), 403[PTP].
- P. Aurenche, F. W. Bopp and J. Ranft, Z. Phys. C23 (1984), 67.
- UA5 Collaboration, G. J. Alner et al., Nucl. Phys. B291 (1987), 445.