Prog. Theor. Phys. Vol. 85 No. 4 (1991) pp. 687-691
Advective Diffusion of Particles in Rayleigh-Bénard Convection
Department of Physics, Kyushu University 33, Fukuoka 812
*Faculty of Engineering, Kyushu Kyoritsu University, Kitakyushu 807
(Received March 29, 1990)
Diffusion of fluid particles by chaotic advection in two-dimensional temporally-periodic Rayleigh-Bénard convection is studied numerically and theoretically. The dependence of its diffusion constant D on the amplitude B of lateral oscillation is found to be proportional to √B (i.e., D ∝√B) with several fine-grained peaks.
DOI : 10.1143/PTP.85.687
T. H. Solomon and J. P. Gollub, Phys. Rev. A38 (1988), 6280, [APS]and references cited therein.
- S. Chandrasekhar, Hydrodynamic and Hydromagnetic Stability (Dover, New York, 1961), §§ 14, 15.
- A. J. Lichtenberg and M. A. Lieberman, Regular and Stochastic Motion (Springer-Verlag, New York, 1982), chap. 3.
R. S. Mackay and J. D. Meiss, Hamiltonian Dynamical Systems (Adam Higler, Bristol, 1987).
- H. Mori, H. Hata, T. Horita and T. Kobayashi, Prog. Theor. Phys. Suppl. No. 99 (1989), 1, [PTP]and references cited therein.
- J. Guckenheimer and P. Holmes, Nonlinear Oscillations, Dynamical Systems, and Bifurcations of Vector Fields (Springer-Verlag, New York, 1983).
- D. S. Broomhead and S. C. Ryrie, Nonlinearity 1 (1988), 409.
- T. Horita, H. Hata, R. Ishizaki and H. Meri, Prog. Theor. Phys. 83 (1990), 1065[PTP].
- T. Horita and H. Mori, Physica D (submitted).
Citing Article(s) :
Progress of Theoretical Physics Vol. 88 No. 3 (1992) pp. 467-484
Anomalous Diffusion and Mixing in an Oscillating Rayleigh-Bénard Flow
Katsuya Ouchi and Hazime Mori
Progress of Theoretical Physics Vol. 89 No. 5 (1993) pp. 947-963
Anomalous Diffusion and Mixing of Chaotic Orbits in Hamiltonian Dynamical Systems
Ryuji Ishizaki, Takehiko Horita and Hazime Mori