Prog. Theor. Phys. Vol. 93 No. 4 (1995) pp. 797-811
Finite Temperature Deconfining Transition in the BRST Formalism
Department of Physics, Kyoto University, Kyoto 606-01
(Received October 31, 1994)
We present a toy model study of the high temperature deconfining transition in Yang-Mills theory as a breakdown of the confinement condition proposed y Kugo and Ojima. Our toy model is a kind of topological field theory obtained from the Yang-Mills theory by taking the limit of vanishing gauge coupling constant gYM →0, and therefore the gauge field Aµ is constrained to the pure-gauge configuration Aµ = g†∂µg. At zero temperature this model has been known to satisfy the confinement condition of Kugo and Ojima which requires the absence of the massless Nambu-Goldstone-like mode coupled to the BRST-exact color current. In the finite temperature case based on the real-time formalism, our model in 3 + 1 dimensions is reduced, by the Parisi-Sourlas mechanism, the the “sum” of chiral models in 1 + 1 dimensions with various boundary conditions of the group element g(t, x) at the ends of the time contour. We analyze the effective potential of the SU(2) model and find that the deconfining transition in fact occurs due to the contribution of the sectors with non-periodic boundary conditions.
DOI : 10.1143/PTP.93.797
- A. M. Polyakov, Phys. Lett. 72B (1978), 447.
L. Susskind, Phys. Rev. D20 (1979), 2610[APS].
- T. Kugo and I. Ojima, Prog. Theor. Phys. Suppl. No. 66 (1979), 1[PTP].
- H. Hata and I. Niigata, Nucl. Phys. B389 (1993), 133.
H. Hata and T. Kugo, Phys. Rev. D21 (1980), 3333[APS].
A. J. Niemi and G. W. Semenoff, Ann. of Phys. 152 (1984), 105[CrossRef].
- Y. Takahashi and H. Umezawa, Collective Phenomena 2 (1975), 55.
- H. Umezawa, H. Matsumoto and M. Tachiki, Thermo Field Dynamics and Condensed States (North-Holland, Amsterdam, 1982).
I. Ojima, Ann. of Phys. 137 (1981), 1[CrossRef].
- H. Hata, Phys. Lett. B143 (1984), 171.
H. Hata and T. Kugo, Phys. Rev. D32 (1985), 938[APS].
G. Parisi and N. Sourlas, Phys. Rev. Lett. 43 (1979), 744[APS].
- A. Polyakov and P. B. Wiegmann, Phys. Lett. B131 (1983), 121.
P. B. Wiegmann, Phys. Lett. B141 (1984), 217; B142 (1984), 173.
- H. Hata, Prog. Theor. Phys. 67 (1982), 1607[PTP]; 69 (1983), 1524.
R. Delbourgo and P. D. Jarvis, J. of Phys. A15 (1982), 611[IoP STACKS].
- J. L. Cardy, Phys. Lett. 125B (1983), 470.
L. Dolan and R. Jackiw, Phys. Rev. D9 (1974), 3320[APS].
L. Jacobs, Phys. Rev. D10 (1974), 3956[APS].
B. Harrington and A. Yildiz, Phys. Rev. D11 (1975), 1499[APS].
- K.-I. Izawa, Prog. Theor. Phys. 90 (1993), 911[PTP].
- H. Hata and Y. Taniguchi, Kyoto preprint KUNS-1325,
Citing Article(s) :
Progress of Theoretical Physics Vol. 94 No. 3 (1995) pp. 435-444
Color Confinement in Perturbation Theory from a Topological Model
Hiroyuki Hata and Yusuke Taniguchi