Prog. Theor. Phys. Vol. 94 No. 3 (1995) pp. 331-341
Macroscopic Quantum Nucleation in cis-Polyacetylene
Department of Mathematics and Physics, Kinki University, Higashi-Osaka 577
*Department of Physics, Kyoto University, Kyoto 606-01
(Received June 7, 1995)
The metastable phase (trans-cisoid) of cis-polyacetylene is expected to decay into the ground state (cis-transoid)through the formation of a polaron. In the present paper, the quantum nucleation rate of the polaron is analyzed within the framework of the WKB approximation. The electronic degrees of freedom are integrated exactly, by which the field theoretical equation of motion is reduced to that for the polaron size alone. Then the quantum nucleation rate for this coordinate is evaluated. It is shown that the nucleation rate thus obtained is much larger than that previously speculated.
DOI : 10.1143/PTP.94.331
- I. M. Lifshitz and Yu. Kagan, Sov. Phys.-JETP 35 (1972), 206.
- I. M. Lifshitz, V. N. Polesskii and V. A. Khokhlov, Sov. Phys-JETP 47 (1978), 137.
T. Satoh, M. Morishita, M. Ogata and S. Satoh, Phys. Rev. Lett. 69 (1992), 335[APS].
- T. Nakamura and S. Takagi, Int. J. Mod. Phys. B, in press.
D. Boyanovsky, C. A. A. de Carvalho and E. S. Fraga, Phys. Rev. B50 (1994), 2889[APS].
A. J. Heeger, S. Kivelson, J. R. Schrieffer and W.-P. Su, Rev. Mod. Phys. 60 (1988), 781[APS].
- S. A. Brazovskii and N. Kirova, JETP Lett. 33 (1981), 4.
K. Fesser, A. R. Bishop and D. K. Campbell, Phys. Rev. B27 (1983), 4804[APS].
- M. Tabor, Chaos and Integrability in Nonlinear Dynamics: An Introduction (Wiley, New York, 1989).
M. C. Gutzwiller, Chaos in Classical and Quantum Mechanics (Springer-Verlag, New York, 1990).
H. Teramae, J. Chem. Phys. 85 (1986), 990[CrossRef].
A. Vilenkin, Phys. Rev. D33 (1986), 3560[APS].