Prog. Theor. Phys. Vol. 99 No. 1 (1998) pp. 69-78
Effects of the Quadrupole Moment of Rapidly Rotating Neutron Stars on the Motion of the Accretion Disks
Department of Earth and Space Science,
Graduate School of Science
Osaka University, Toyonaka 560, Japan
(Received September 2, 1997)
We investigate the effects of the
quadrupole moment of rapidly rotating neutron stars (NSs)
on the motion of the accretion disks.
The geometry outside rapidly rotating NSs does not
agree with that of Kerr black holes,
so that we must correctly take into account the
quadrupole moment (and the higher multipole moments)
of NS, which depends on their equation of state.
We show that the magnitude of the quadrupole dependent term
appearing in several orbital frequencies
is comparable to that of the spin-orbit (SO) coupling term
for orbits near the surface of rapidly rotating NSs,
and effects of the quadrupole moment largely
suppress the SO coupling effect.
DOI : 10.1143/PTP.99.69
M. van der Kils, astro-ph/9704272[e-print arXiv]. See references cited therein.
P. Kaaret, E. C. Ford and K. Chen, Astrophys. J. Lett. 480 (1997), 27[IoP STACKS].
W. Zhang, T. E. Strohmayer and J. H. Swank, astro-ph/9703151[e-print arXiv].
W. Kluzniak and R. V. Wagoner, Astrophys. J. 297 (1985), 548[CrossRef].
- S. W. Hawking and G. F. R. Ellis, The large scale structure of space-time (Cambridge University Press, 1973). See also references cited therein.
R. O. Hansen, J. Math. Phys. 15 (1974), 46[CrossRef].
For example, R. Wald, Phys. Rev. D6 (1972), 406[APS].
J. L. Friedman, J. R. Ipser and L. Parker, Astrophys. J. 304 (1986), 115[CrossRef].
- H. Komatsu, Y. Eriguchi and I. Hachisu, Mon. Not. R. Astron. Soc. 237 (1989), 355.
- G. B. Cook, S. L. Shapiro and S. A. Teukolsky, Astrophys. J. 424 (1994), 823: As for their other works, see also references cited therein.
- For example, J. H. Taylor, R. N. Manchester and G. Lyne, Astrophys. J. Supple. 88 (1993), 529.
- D. Lai, F. A. Rasio and S. L. Shapiro, Astrophys. J. Supple. 88 (1993), 205.
- For example, S. L. Shapiro and S. A. Teukolsky, Black Holes, White Dwarfs, and Neutron Stars (New York, Wiley, 1983).
W. G. Laarakkers and E. Poisson, gr-qc/9709033[e-print arXiv].