Prog. Theor. Phys. Supplement No. 173 (2008) pp. 332-341
Detection of Neural Activity Associated with Thinking in Frontal Lobe by Magnetoencephalograpy
1Institute of Economic Research, Kyoto University,
Kyoto 606-8501, Japan
2Elegaphy, 409, Bldg#1, KRP 134, Kyoto 600-8813, Japan
3Department of Medical System Engineering, Graduate School of Engineering,
Chiba University, Chiba 263-8522, Japan
We measured brain activity in normal subjects using
magnetoencephalography while they were presented a series of thinking
tasks intended to induce the natural thought.
Changes in the spontaneous brain activity were assessed with a
Super-conducting Quantum Interference Device (SQUID)
neuromagnetometer. We detected transitions in
the active portions of the brain during non-thinking tasks by
analyzing brain magnetic filed of the frontal lobe in each various
frequency range, α wave (8-12Hz), β wave (12-24Hz),
γ wave (24-60Hz), and θ wave (4-8Hz). The α
wave in the left hemisphere was more prominent than and waves, a
distinctive feature of brain activity of the non-thinking state in
our study. In addition, the α wave was prominent
in the left hemisphere throughout every task including the non-thinking task.
DOI : 10.1143/PTPS.173.332
- S. Williamson and L. Kaufman, J. Magn. Mater. 22 (1981), 129.
- A. Ioannides, L. Liu, J. Kwapien, S. Drozdz and M. Streit, Human Brain Mapping 11 (2000), 77.
- R. Hari and E. Haukoranta, Prog. Neurobiol. 24 (1985), 233.
- J. Ilmoniemi, Ph.D. Thesis, Helsinki Univ. of Technology (1985).
- A. Sanfey, J. Rilling, J. Aronson, L. Nystrom and J. Cohen, Science 300 (2003), 1755[Science].
- S. McClure, D. Laibson, G. Loewenstein and J. Cohen, Science 306 (2004), 503[Science].
- K. Nishimura and Y. Tobinaga, Proc. IJCNN2003 (2003), 2604.
- T. Imada, Brain Science 22 (2000), 645
- S. Nakagawa, T. Imada, S. Ueno and M. Tonoike, IEEE Trans. Magn. 40 (2004), 635.
- Y. Soeta, Y. Okamoto, S. Nakagawa, M. Tonoike and Y. Ando, Neuro Report 13 (2001), 527.
- S. Nakagawa and M. Tonoike, IEEE Tran. Magn. 41 (2005), 1960.