Prog. Theor. Phys. Supplement No.23 (1962) pp. 207-222
Effect of an Isotopic Impurity on the Heat Flow in One-Dimensional Coupled Harmonic Oscillators
Kansai Iron and Steel Technical College, Amagasaki, Hyogo
*Department of Physics, Kyoto University, Kyoto
The effect of an isotopic impurity atom on the energy transport along the one dimensional harmonic lattice is investigated. Assuming such an initial ensemble that the half of the system is at temperature T and the other half is at temperature zero, the mean energy of each particle is calculated as the function of time. Thus it can be shown that, for the infinitely long chain, the mean energy of each particle approaches to the different stationary values in both sides of the impurity site, namely the system finally reaches a stationary state which has a gap of the energy distribution at the impurity site. The energy flow along this linear system is also calculated.
DOI : 10.1143/PTPS.23.207
- P. Debye, Vorträge über die kinetische Theorie der Materie und der Elektrizität (Teubner, Berlin, 1914).
- R. Peierls, Ann. der Phys. 3 (1929), 1055.
- P. C. Hemmer and H. Wergeland, D. Kgl. Norske Vid. Selsk. Forh. 30 (1957), 137.
P. Mazur and E. Montroll, J. Math. Phys. 1 (1960), 70[CrossRef].
R. E. Turner, Physica 26 (1960), 269[CrossRef];
ibid. 26 (1960), 274[CrossRef].
R. J. Rubin, J. Math. Phys. 1 (1960), 309[CrossRef];
ibid. 2 (1961), 373[CrossRef].
- P. C. Hemmer, “Dynamic and Stochastic Types of Motion in the Linear Chain” (1959), thesis.
E. Teramoto, Prog. Theor. Phys. 28 (1962), 1059[PTP].
- R. J. Rubin, Bull. Am. Phys. Soc. 5 (1960), 422.
- S. Kashiwamura, Prog. Theor. Phys. 27 (1962), 571[PTP].
Citing Article(s) :
Progress of Theoretical Physics Vol. 31 No. 1 (1964) pp. 162-164
A Stationary State in One-Dimensional Lattice with a Few Impurities
Progress of Theoretical Physics Vol. 31 No. 6 (1964) pp. 1176-1178
Heat Flow in a System of Coupled Harmonic Oscillators
Éi Iti Takizawa and Keiko Kobayashi