Prog. Theor. Phys. Supplement No.86 (1986) pp. 81-92
Theory of Relativistic String and Multilocal Model
Atomic Energy Research Institute, Nihon University, Tokyo 101
(Received October 29, 1985)
Some aspects of the theory of relativistic string in its early period of formation and development are examined, such as the analogy between multilocal theory and string theory, the motivation and implication of the concept of `detailed wave equation', distinction between geometric and massive strings, etc. Next it is shown that a multilocal system consisting of N points organizes itself into a one-dimensional arrangement, rather than into a 3-dimensionally extended structure, if the internal forces obey a certain conspicuous rule. This model exhibits how the string theory is fabricated out of the relativistic theory of a discrete structure in the limit N → ∞.
DOI : 10.1143/PTPS.86.81
- Y. Nambu, Proc. Int. Conf. on Symmetries and Quark Models 1969, ed. R. Chand (Gordon and Breach, 1970).
See also L. Susskind, Nuovo Cim. A 69 (1970), 457.
- T. Takabayasi, Nuovo Cim. 33 (1964), 668; Proc. English Nobel Symposium, ed. N. Svartholm (Almqvist and Wiksell, 1968), p. 157 (see pp. 181-184 thereof); Prog. Theor. Phys. 48 (1972), 1718[PTP]; ibid. 54 (1975), 563[PTP].
- T. Takabayasi, Prog. Theor. Phys. 43 (1970), 1117[PTP].
- T. Takabayasi, Prog. Theor. Phys. 44 (1970), 1429[PTP]; ibid. 46 (1971), 1528[PTP]; ibid. 46 (1971), 1924[PTP].
- Equation (1 · 26) was first given in my talk at Kyoto meating, December 1970.
See Soryushiron Kenkyu (Kyoto) 43 (1971), 168.
M. A. Virasoro, Phys. Rev. D 1 (1970), 2933[APS].
- Y. Nambu, Lecture for Copenhagen Symposium (1970).
J. Mansouri and Y. Nambu, Phys. Lett. B 39 (1972), 375[CrossRef].
- T. Goto, Prog. Theor. Phys. 46 (1971), 1560[PTP].
- P. A. M. Dirac, Lectures on Quantum Mechanics (Yeshiva Univ., 1964).
- O. Hara, Prog. Theor. Phys. 46 (1971), 1549[PTP].
- G. Konishi, Prog. Theor. Phys. 48 (1972), 2008[PTP].
- T. Takabayasi, Proc. Int. Symposium High Energy Phys., Tokyo July 1973, ed. Y. Hara et al. (Inst. for Nuclear Study, 1973), p. 237; Prog. Theor. Phys. 51 (1974), 262[PTP]; ibid. 51 (1974), 571[PTP].
- The same Lagrangian as (1 · 32) was later up in
A. Chodos and C. B. Thorn, Nucl. Phys. B 72 (1974), 509[CrossRef].
K. Kikkawa, M. Sato and K. Uehara, Prog. Theor. Phys. 57 (1977), 2101[PTP].
- Details for the following two sections are given in T. Takabayasi, DPNU-29 (June 1978) and in an invited talk at the autumn meeting of Jpn. Phys. Soc. (1978), while the short accounts are given in
Prog. Theor. Phys. 60 (1978), 323[PTP]; ibid. 60 (1978), 636[PTP].